Monday, May 12, 2008

What is Punking?

Hello, my stage name is Angel and I'm a fortunate Pioneer in what many dancers unfortunately called Punkin Wacking, Wacking is not the original name. That name started to come out in the early 80's. "How i know?" you may ask youself, I had the pleasure of meeting some of the Originals of Punkin in the 1970's at some of the underground clubs of L.A. and Hollywood And a few clubs of the mainstream. Punkin was discovered in the Gay underground night clubs/Discoteques of L.A and reached the mainstream as straight dancers pushed Punkin forward I personally took the momentum, the fill from it and made it more masculine as i felt it could be danced to me for me.

Some of originals are Arther Andrew, a dancer called Tinker, (R.I.P.)Lanny,and Aka. Micheal Angelo, I dont know were they are now as far as the originals. Now Pioneers are Shabbado and female and Male dancers from Dancing Machine, which was created in 1975 By Jeff Kutach, and which know is called Splash in Las Vegas, But back in the 70's and early 80's the member of Dancing Machine some of them were Gino, Dino SugarBop, Fast Freddy of the girls there was Topaz Lanette, Diane, Flame, Dallas, Ana Sanchez, that I can remember right know and that i knew of from the 70's.

I just finished giving a Punkin presentation at Culture Shock Los Angeles on January 22, which i must say was to me a great memorable experience. It was an honor being a part of H4 hip hop has History. It was recorded so i would like to present Punkin to all of you out there that are interested in learning more about this fairly new style to the new generation but was created many years ago.

I also have a website which is angelsclassicdancers.com . . . I'm going to do some modifications and add on's. I Hope i have shade some light on a Punkin history I do believe that history should be preserved with it true meaning and evolution and keeping the name true to the art form.

I hope to get to know some of you out there that are interested in Punkin or other styles i may shade light on.

Much respect
Angel.

No comments: